Shared Vision and Mission Statement
To critically transform higher education environments so that lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students, faculty, administrators, staff, and alumni/ae have equity in every respect.
Achievement of this vision is advanced through three major goals:
Goal 1. Providing support to colleagues serving lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities in higher education.
- Biannual meetings
- fall meeting at NGLTF Creating Change Conference
- spring meeting at either ACPA or NASPA Conference
- maintaining the Consortium Web Site
- maintaining the Consortium Listserv
- Professional Development
- coordinating campus track at NGLTF Creating Change Conference
- submitting programs to national conferences
- exchanging information, e.g., position statements on campus "hot topics"
- mentoring persons interested in doing related work
- developing LGBT campus issues research data base
- conducting research on LGBT centers and services
- developing LGBT campus climate assessment tool
- providing liaisons with other national organizations (e.g., NGLTF, NASPA, ACPA)
Goal 2. Consulting with higher education administrators in the interest of improving campus climate and services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender faculty, staff, students, administrators, and alumni/ae
- developing consortium brochure (who we are, what we do, how to become involved, etc.)
- presenting papers, workshops, awareness training at national and regional conferences
- maintaining and expanding the web site
- Speakers and Consultants Referral Network
- developing a network of speakers and consultants available for presentations, workshops, program development and
- technical assistance on LGBT issues in higher education settings
- proposing and presenting regional on-site workshops in cooperation with NGLTF, NASPA, ACPA, etc.
Goal 3. Advocating for institutional policy changes and program development that recognize the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.
- Monitoring and responding to issues and incidents at individual higher education institutions
- Monitoring and responding to higher education-related issues and incidents in national organizations
- Assisting in the development of campus resources and the creation of campus centers